Over the course of two years, On the Commons identified the following key elements of commons-based solutions during our workshops in the field. These values informed our workshop conversations and have become an essential guide for the design and implementation of commons-based initiatives.
A commons-based solution, which adds up to a commons-based society, is one:
- In which we all belong, or we all have a stake, without exception.
- That is grounded in a sense of sufficiency, and in which we have a mutual responsibility to take care of this abundance and pass it on.
- That values the humanity of everyone.
- Where there is rough social equity in decision making processes, outcomes, and across society as a whole.
- That takes into account who we are and where we are from; or, in other words, our history.
- That has structures, systems, and rules in place to ensure continuity into the future.